Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Grilled Pork Chops



It is Murphy's Law lately - every time I light the grill, it starts to rain.  How is it that the sun can be shining all day and when I start to cook dinner outside - a thunderstorm pops up out of nowhere?   No kidding, I think the last 4 or 5 times that I've cooked dinner on my Big Green Egg, I've done so in the rain.

It's a good thing the grill is just outside the kitchen on the back deck.  All of this rain has taken a toll on me but it's also taken its toll on the deck.  It got a big overhaul a few weeks ago.  Ben and I spent two weekends pressure washing and sanding and staining the boards.  It's amazing how much much of a difference a can of stain can make.  I am so excited about the newly treated boards that I run to the window every time it rains, just to see the beads of water on the wood.

Before pictures...


After pictures...








Even Mia likes the newly refinished deck.







Even though the rain continues to come down in Atlanta, I will continue to go out to the deck and cook on my Big Green Egg.  I headed out to put some pork chops on the grill a few weeks ago and I could hear some thunder off in the distance.  It was a race against time (and a thunderstorm).  I could hear the thunder getting closer and closer, and I kept turning up the heat on the grill to try and get my chops cooked before the impending storm approached.  As I pulled my finished dinner off of the grill, I watched the dark clouds drift right past the house.  It never did rain but the threat of a storm helped me get dinner cooked a little faster. 

Even if you're not racing against a storm, you can enjoy these grilled pork chops in no time. 

Grilled Pork Chops
Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons grated onion
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar

Chops
3-4 bone in rib loin chops  (1 1/2 inches thick)
4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons pepper







For sauce: Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan.  Cook on low until a thick, syrupy consistency.  (5-7 minutes)  Transfer 1/2 cup sauce to a bowl and set aside.





Check out these beautiful chops that I got at Fresh Market.  Tuesdays are buy one get one free on pork.








Pat chops dry with paper towels.  Cut 2 slits in the fat end of the chops.






Season with salt and pepper.


Insert 2 skewers through each chop so that they stand upright.


Place on the grill and cook until internal temperature reaches 120.







Remove skewers.  Lay chops flat on the grill.  Baste with sauce and cook until 140 degrees.



Remove from grill.  Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.






Serve with reserved sauce.





Dinner is served.

Caio!




No comments:

Post a Comment