Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins


I know that you think it's all cake and cupcakes and cookies at my house and the truth is that there is a LOT of that around.  The good thing is that most of the sweets that are baked in this house actually get delivered to other people to enjoy because we really don't NEED to consume all of the sweets. 


The sweets that I do make specifically for my family usually look (and taste) quite differently than the ones that I make for other people.  I tend to modify the recipes for us - I add less sugar, I swap white flour for whole wheat, and I never really take the time to make our food "pretty". 

After making dozens of muffins for clients, I have been craving blueberry muffins lately.  I didn't really want to make the bakery style, full fat version because I'm trying to limit my sugar and fat intake so when I found a recipe for Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins in my Cook's Country magazine, I knew that was the recipe for me.  (Oops, I mean US.) 


Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Streusel
3 tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons butter, melted

Muffins
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup oil
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Combine sugar, brown sugar, flour and salt for streusel.  Add melted butter and toss until crumbly.









Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.













Whisk together sugar, eggs, melted butter and oil.















Whisk together buttermilk and vanilla.






Whisk buttermilk into egg mixture.


Fold in dry ingredients.


Fold in blueberries.

Fill muffin cups (I made 21) with batter.


Top with streusel mixture.


Bake 18 minutes at 400.


Cool completely on a wire rack.



 Wow - A Davis family muffin AND it's pretty.


Not sure anyone else in this family really appreciated my muffins - but I did.  They were mighty tasty.

Ciao.







No comments:

Post a Comment