Monday, December 17, 2012

Eggs in a hole


When I was a kid, my mom made "eggs in nest."  They were essentially, an egg cooked in the center of a piece of toast.  I tried to recreate them for my family but was pretty unsuccessful.  The egg was always overcooked or undercooked and the toast always ended up soggy.  I recently found a recipe for these eggs in an issue of Cook's Country magazine.  I'm not sure whether this is the same method that my mom used to make hers but it worked out pretty well for me. 

Eggs in a hole
6 slices hearty sandwich bread
5 Tablespoons butter
6 eggs










 Spread 1 side of bread with 2 1/2 Tablespoons butter.













Using a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter, cut out and remove center circle.










Preheat a baking sheet in a 500 degree oven.  Remove from oven and melt 2 1/2 Tablespoons butter on hot sheet.













Place bread and circles, buttered side up, on baking sheet.  Return to oven on lowest rack and bake 3-5 minutes until golden brown.  Flip bread halfway through baking.









Remove sheet from oven and place inside of another baking sheet.  Crack 1 egg into each hole.


Return both pans to oven and bake 4-6 minutes until white are barely set.


 Place sheets on a wire rack and let sit 2 minutes until whites are completely set.


Enjoy.


My family was fascinated by what they called "levetating eggs."


We ate way more "eggs in a hole" than I ever thought that we would.  I had to go back and make a second batch because we all wanted more.  Of course we all took turns levitating our eggs and discussing the science behind it made for great dinner conversation.  Who knew that it would turn into a science lesson?

Speaking of science lessons, does anyone know how to keep my spring bulbs from blooming in December?


 They're beautiful but I sure would like for them to wait until spring to bloom.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment