Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Key Lime Pound Cake



I had high hopes for this Southern Living key Lime pound cake recipe because the photograph in the magazine looked AMAZING.  I made a trip to the grocery store and bought my key limes and started on this cake almost immediately after seeing the picture.

Unfortunately, my cake didn't turn out ANYTHING like the picture.  I had a really hard time getting it out of the pan so I had to do some patchwork on the top.  I think that was a result of my cheapo bundt pan.  (When all else fails, blame the cookware, right?)

Anyway, the cake was supposed to have a nice light key lime glaze over the top but I had to make a really think glaze instead to cover up all of the imperfections in the cake.

Even though this cake didn't LOOK like the picture in the magazine, it still tasted really great.  When will I ever learn that my cake is NEVER going to look like magazine food?  I need to remember that food pictures and pictures of supermodels are a lot a like - airbrushed and edited. 


Key Lime Pound Cake 

1  cup  butter, softened
1/2  cup  shortening
3  cups  sugar
6  large eggs
3  cups  all-purpose flour
1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
1/8  teaspoon  salt
1  cup  milk
1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
1  teaspoon  lime zest
1/4  cup  fresh Key lime juice

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. 

 
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.



 





Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. 







Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. 

 
Stir in vanilla, lime zest, and lime juice. 


Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (12-cup) tube pan.


I didn't even get a picture of the cake when it cake out of the pan because I was so disappointed.  It wasn't a pretty sight so I patched it up the best that I could, covered it in plastic wrap and went to bed.

It amazing what a few hours of sleep will do for my attitude because the next morning, the cake looked a better.  I decided that it was salvageable and I whipped up a glaze of powdered sugar and key lime juice and milk and spooned it over the top.


I am headed out today to buy a new bundt pan and then I'm going to remake this cake.  I'm REALLY hoping that the next one turns out better so that I can say that it really was the pans fault and not mine.

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment