Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Turkey Sausage Skewers


The way I look at it - we are just now approaching prime grilling season in Atlanta.   Standing on my back deck at in the middle of July with the afternoon sun beating down is absolutely brutal.  I end up running in and out of the house over and over again, just to try and avoid the excessive heat. 


Now that I can actually stand on my deck without burning the bottom of my feet and touch the furniture without the risk of third degree burns, I am back to grilling most of our meals.  I love to cook food on the Big Green Egg - somehow it just makes everything taste better. 


For a girl from Northeast Ohio who is used to summer grilling and summer picnics, this is the weather I've been waiting for - even if it is the middle of September.


Turkey Sausage Skewers
1 package turkey smoked sausage
2 zucchini
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
Zest of 1 large lemon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine oil, parsley, chives, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and pepper.


Cut sausage and vegetables into 1 inch pieces.


Thread sausage onto skewers, alternating with bell pepper, zucchini and onion.  Brush with marinade.












I even put together a few "vegetable-only" skewers for me with the extra veggies.









Put the skewers on the grill.


 Remove from grill and brush with extra marinade.












Serve the skewers with rice and voila - a beautiful and delicious grilled dinner!



My family really liked these skewers.  I liked the vegetarian option and Ben and Courtney liked the sausage skewers.   Totally worth waiting until September for optimum grilling weather.

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment