Thursday, December 29, 2011

Watch out Godiva

It is no big secret that I am a major chocoholic.  (As much as I hate to admit it - I'm even a Ghiradelli facebook fan.)  Last December I found a recipe for Ghiradelli chocolate truffles that were so good - I wanted to make them again this year.  Since I worked out the kinks during my first truffle attempt last year, they were much easier to make this year.  These truffles are so good - I have to hide them from myself so I don't eat them all at once.

Ghiradelli Truffles
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups double chocolate chips
6 Tablespoons butter

In saucepan, bring cream to a simmer.

 
Remove from heat.  Stir in chocolate and butter.

 
In skillet, bring 1/2” water to a slow simmer.  Set saucepan in skillet and stir mixture until chocolate melts.



Remove from heat.

 
Pour mixture into shallow bowl to cool.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.


Dip melon baler into warm water and scrape across top of chocolate to form a 1” ball.


Roll ball in coating and transfer to waxed paper.  Gloves help keep the heat from your hands from melting the chocolate.


Roll each truffle in the topping of your choice.  I used cocoa powder, pecan pieces, crushed peppermint and I left some plain.




Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. (I bet they won't last that long.)
I don't buy truffles any more - they're easy to make and even better than store bought.

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy. These look awesome! I can't wait to try this recipe. Approximatly how many 1" truffles does this recipe make? Thx, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks E - I made really small truffles because they pack a big chocolate punch and there were so many other desserts at Christmas. I made about 3 dozen truffles from one recipe. Let me know how your truffles turn out.

    ReplyDelete