Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicken Tetrazzini


 



Turkey Tetrazzini has always been one of those meals that I reserve for the week after Thanksgiving when I'm trying to use up extra turkey.  The only other time that I make it is when I need to deliver a meal to a family in need.  It's easy to prepare in advance, I can make a lot at one time and I can freeze the leftovers.  The only problem was that is, that it's not a very healthy meal to give to someone.  Loaded with heavy cream and cheeses, my tetrazzini was delicious but certainly not healthy. 
I found a recipe for a reduced fat and calorie version of chicken tetrazzini in my Cook's Illustrated magazine that peaked my interest.  I decided to give this recipe a try and see how it compared to my unhealthy version of turkey tettrazini. 
Chicken Tetrazzini
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4” pieces
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 slice hearty white bread
7 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons pepper
5 ounces spaghetti, broken in half
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon butter
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons dry sherry
3 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese (I used leftover chive and onion cream cheese.)

Combine chicken and soy in ziploc bag.  Refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
Pulse bread, 2 Tablespoons Parmesan, 1/4 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper in food processor.


Heat oven to 400.  Cook pasta in salted water for 1 minute less than al dente directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water then drain pasta.



Toast flour in a 12” skillet for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.

Whisk into reserved pasta water.
 

Melt butter in empty skillet and add mushrooms, onion, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t pepper.  Cook until browned.
Stir in peas.


Add to pasta



Add broth and sherry to skillet.   

Stir in flour mixture, cream cheese and remaining 5 T. Parmesan.  Bring to a boil, whisking until smooth.

Add chicken and simmer 1 minute.
Add to pasta mixture and toss until combined.


 
Scrape into an 8” baking dish.


Top with bread crumb mixture. (If I were going to take this to another family, I would stop right there, wrap the dish in plastic wrap and deliver it along with baking instructions.)  You could also freeze the casserole at this point.  I wrap the dish in plastic wrap and then foil and I write the baking instructions on the top before I put it in the freezer. 






Bake 12-14 minutes. 






The chicken was really moist and tender compared to my version which used meat that was already cooked.  Everyone really liked this chicken tetrazzini. The kids each left a little pile of peas and mushrooms on their plate but they ate LOTS of chicken and pasta. 


I may have to make a couple of Chicken Tetrazzini's to keep in my freezer.  This was really delicious and good enough to have even before Thanksgiving. 
Ciao!







Chicken Tetrazzini
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4” pieces
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 slice hearty white bread
7 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons pepper
5 ounces spaghetti, broken in half
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon butter
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons dry sherry
3 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese (I used leftover chive and onion cream cheese.)
Combine chicken and soy in ziploc bag.  Refrigerate 30-60 minutes. 
Pulse bread, 2 Tablespoons Parmesan, 1/4 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper in
food processor.  Heat oven to 400.  Cook pasta in salted water for 1
minute less than al dente directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water then
drain pasta.  Toast flour in a 12” skillet for about 5 minutes until
lightly browned.  Whisk into reserved pasta water.  Melt butter in empty
skillet and add mushrooms, onion, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t pepper.  Cook
until browned.  Stir in peas and add to pasta.  Add broth and sherry to
skillet.  Stir in flour mixture, cream cheese and remaining 5 T. Parmesan.  Bring to a boil, whisking until smooth.  Add chicken and
simmer 1 minute.  Add to pasta mixture and toss until combined.  Scrape
into an 8” baking dish.  Top with bread crumb mixture and bake 12-14
minutes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment