Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Roasted Green Beans



Wrinkles aren't all bad.  Not on green beans anyway.  A nicely shriveled green bean is a good indicator of a really flavorful roasted vegetable. 
Sometimes I am just at a loss at what to make for side dishes.  I feel like I get into a rut of making the same old things over and over again.  I found this recipe for Roasted Green Beans a Cook's Illustrated magazine from 2005 and I really wanted to give it a try. 


Roasted Green Beans
1 pound green beans
1 Tablespoon olive oil
table salt
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
Heat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with foil.  Snap the ends off of the beans.

 

Spread beans on baking sheet and drizzle with oil.  Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. 

 

Roast 10 minutes.


 
Combine vinegar, honey, thyme and garlic.

 

Coat beans with mixture and roast another 10 minutes. 


I didn't make nearly the pound of beans that the recipe called for but I had to scale back my portions to a more realistic serving of beans that my family I could consume in one meal.  I thought they were great but the kids weren't all that impressed.  (More for me I guess.) 


I love the slivers of roasted garlic and the sweet tangy balsamic and honey glaze.  I will definitely make these beans again - even if it is, just for me.
Ciao!



Roasted Green Beans
1 pound green beans
1 Tablespoon olive oil
table salt
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
Heat
oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with foil.  Spread beans on baking
sheet and drizzle with oil.  Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.  Roast
10 minutes.  Combine vinegar, honey, thyme and garlic.  Coat beans with
mixture and roast another 10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment