Friday, November 16, 2012

Easy Green Egg Grilled Chicken


Don't stress about cooking your Thanksgiving turkey this year.  Give yourself a trial run by cooking a chicken before the big day.  It will help you work out all the kinks and help to calm your nerves.  Since I'm going to be cooking my turkey on my Big Green Egg on Thursday I decided to give it a dry run with a chicken. 

Prepare the chicken.  (Air chilled chickens are my favorite.)  Cut 4 (1 inch) slits in the breast of the chicken.  Sprinkle kosher salt evenly over the skin.  


Set up your BGE.
Turn the plate setter upside down and set a disposable pan on top.  Fill pan with 2" of water. 


Set the grate on top of the plate setter.  My pan was a little too high so the grate was sitting on the edges of the disposable pan.


Place the prepared chicken on top of the grate directly over the pan of water.


Grill to an internal temperature of 160.












 Check for doneness with an instant read thermometer. 











Let chicken rest.


Letting the chicken rest seems like a simple step and it's easy to skip it but don't underestimate it's importance.  Letting the chicken rest allows the juices to reabsorb into the meat instead of spilling out onto the platter once it's sliced. 

My mock Thanksgiving meal included chicken, broccoli and a salad. 



I feel better about my Thanksgiving turkey now that I practiced by roasting a chicken on my Big Green Egg.  Want to try a new turkey recipe this year?  Practice on a chicken this weekend - you'll be glad you did.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment