Monday, November 12, 2012

Whole Grain Pancakes



I like to send my kids off to school with a hot breakfast every morning but that doesn't mean that I wake up at 5:30 to start cooking.   Mornings around my house can be a little hectic and the later in the year it gets - the harder it is for all of us to get out of bed.  When it's cold and dark outside, it's way to tempting to hit the snooze.  I'll let you in on one of my morning time saving tips - and the reason that I can sneak in an extra 10 minutes of sleep in the morning - I prep breakfast the night before.



I found this recipe for Four Grain Pancakes in my Comfort Food magazine.  The picture of thick maple syrup dripping off of a stack of pancakes above the recipe looked absolutely irresistible.  I tried to recreate that photo but it didn't really turn out like I had planned.  (I'm beginning to question whether that was really syrup in their photo at all.)

I set myself up for a nice smooth morning by getting all of the ingredients ready the night before.  I mixed up my dry ingredients and my wet ingredients separately, covered them with plastic wrap. 


I put my wet ingredients in the frig overnight.  I even set up my cooking station at the oven - dry ingredients, pancake griddle, recipe, spatula, rubber scraper and and ice cream scoop to measure out the pancake batter. 






 

I even set plates and forks on the table before I go to bed. 







So there it is, I'm not a supermom - just a compulsive planner.   I can have this pancake batter thrown together in less than 5 minutes.  They are way better than boxed pancake mix and they're more nutritious and they take less time to make so why would you not make these pancakes?


Four Grain Pancakes 
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 Tablespoon flax seeds (optional)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 Tablespoons brown sugar

Combine flour, oats, cornmeal, wheat germ, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


Combine eggs, buttermilk, oil and brown sugar.


Make a well in center of dry ingredients.  Pour egg mixture into well and stir until just combined.


Pour 1/4 cup batter onto a hot skillet and and cok 2-3 minutes on each side.


 These healthy pancakes are a great way to fuel your family in the morning.  Give them a try.



Ciao!



Four Grain Pancakes 
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 Tablespoon flax seeds (optional)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 Tablespoons brown sugar

Combine flour, oats, cornmeal, wheat germ, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.    Combine eggs, buttermilk, oil and brown sugar.  Make a well in center of dry ingredients.  Pour egg mixture into well and stir until just combined.  Pour 1/4 cup batter onto a hot skillet and and cok 2-3 minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment