Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Double Layer Tacos



Tacos are my quick and easy weeknight meal when I'm in a hurry and I don't have much time to fix dinner.  Most of the time, I pull one of the kids into the kitchen with me on taco night to help get the tacos on the table even faster. 

I wanted to change up our usual taco menu slightly and I found a recipe for double layer beef tacos in the May issue of Cooking Light magazine.  It was exactly what I need to shake up taco night in the Davis house.  (I know what your thinking. - We're living on the edge over here.)

What is a double layer taco - you ask?   Essentially it's a soft tortilla taco and a hard shell taco combined into one.  I didn't know this before I put this on our menu but Old El Paso actually sells a box of combined taco shells.  (6 hard taco shells and 6 soft flour tortillas)  3 of my hard taco shells were broken when I opened the box but they were still usable.


So the question is, do you like your soft taco on the outside or the hard taco on the outside?  There was a split decision around our kitchen table.  1 vote for hard taco shell the outside and 2 votes for soft taco on the outside.  Either way, they're a yummy weeknight meal. 

Double Layer Tacos
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon jalapeno, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon coriander
pinch salt
pinch pepper
1 pound ground turkey
2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
1/2 cup re fried beans
6 flour tortillas
6 hard taco shells
1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
2 ounces shredded cheese








Heat oil in skillet.  Add onion and saute until soft.







Add garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.  Add turkey and cook until no longer pink.


Add tomato sauce, cover and simmer 10 minutes.







Arrange soft tortillas on a baking sheet.














Spread beans over tortillas.
















Sprinkle with cheese.








Place under broiler until cheese melts.


Now it's decision time.  You can wrap the tortilla around the hard taco shell or you can place it inside.

 

Fill with the turkey filling, top with lettuce and cheese and enjoy.








So whether you prefer your taco with a soft tortilla on the outside,
















or a hard taco shell on the outside, 










 they are delicious both ways.  


Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment