Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Roasted Tomatoes

I'm normally the neighbor who's asking everyone if they have extra tomatoes but this year, I've got so many that I'm the girl who's handing them out as gifts to anyone who happens to walk past our house.  (Would it be wrong to hand out tomatoes as party favors?  I'm not above that.) 

I have been making salsa with a lot of my extra tomatoes but I thought I would try roasting a few also.  I dug out an old Cooking Light recipe from 2012 and decided to give it a whirl.  Much to my surprise, the recipe called for roasting the tomatoes in the oven for 7 hours!  SEVEN HOURS!   My tomatoes didn't quite make it that long in the oven and I had to pull them out a couple of times to bake cakes so they roasted about 5 1/2 hours. 


Roasted Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 pounds tomatoes

Preheat oven to 200.  Combine sugar, oil, salt, basil, oregano and pepper.


Slice tomatoes into thick slices.


Brush oil mixture over tomatoes.  Place on foil lined baking sheet. 


Roast 7-8 hours. 




These tomatoes were really tasty.  The sweetness of the fruit really came out during the long, slow roasting.  I think I will try slicing them thin next time and see if I can roast them a little quicker.  Seven hours is a long time to have the oven on the in kitchen in the middle of August.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment