Saturday, February 25, 2012

Whole Wheat Italian

I was looking for a simple egg-free bread recipe to serve at my heart healthy dinner party this weekend and I decided on Italian bread.  The ingredients are simple: water, flour, yeast and salt.  I swapped the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour to make the recipe even more heart healthy.  I also skipped the egg white wash that I normally brush over the loaves before baking.




Whole Wheat Italian Bread
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 Tablespoon salt
6 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I found my flour at Whole Foods.)






Put water in mixer bowl and sprinkle with yeast.  Let sit for 5 minutes.












Add 2 cups of flour and salt.  Gradually add remaining flour.  Knead dough 5 minutes.













Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours.  Punch down and let rise 1 hour longer.












Divide dough into quarters.  Shape each piece into a log and place on a silpat lined baking sheet.  Cover and let rise 1 hour.














Bake 30 minutes at 375.


These altered Italian loaves were an experiment - a risky move because I had to serve them to my dinner guests.  I thought they were pretty good - a little too salty for my taste but other than that - I liked them.
 
Ciao!


Whole Wheat Italian Bread
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 Tablespoon salt
6 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I found my flour at Whole Foods.)

Put water in mixer bowl and sprinkle with yeast.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  Add 2 cups of flour and salt.  Add remaining flour and knead dough 5 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours.  Punch down and let rise 1 hour longer.  Divide dough into 4 pieces.  Shape each piece into a log and place on a silpat lined baking sheet.  Cover and let rise 1 hour.  Bake 30 minutes at 375.





1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, this looks delicious! Great job on your 24x24 post!

    ReplyDelete