Monday, March 18, 2013

Broccoli and Chicken Mac and Cheese



Has anyone tried myfridgefood?  The concept of this website is genius.  You enter the foods that you have in your refrigerator and your pantry (from a checklist) and the site generates recipes that you could make out of the food that you already have.  I don't know who came up with that idea but it's brilliant.  I am going to try it soon and I will blog whatever it tells me to make.  If any of you have used myfridgefood, send me a comment and let me know how it worked for you.  I heard that there is a similar app for the iPhone - anyone know what it is?

This recipe came from my own version of myfridgefood.  I had leftover chicken in my fridge from my bourbon chicken and leftover orchiette pasta from my creamy chicken pasta.  I also had some fresh broccoli and a little bit of leftover cheese.  This recipe is probably not nearly as creative as the ones on the website but I took all my ingredients and turned them into chicken and broccoli macaroni and cheese.

Chicken and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
8 ounces pasta shells (I used whole wheat orchiette.)
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
3/4 cup skim milk
1 Tablespoon sundried tomato paste
1/4 cup light Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
1/4 cup bread crumbs








In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. 







To save time, I add my broccoli to the boiling pasta during the last 4-5 minutes of cooking time.


Drain pasta and broccoli.





For sauce, add milk, cheese and sundried tomato paste to empty pasta pan.  Whisk until cheese melts.




Stir in chicken.


Spoon into ramekins.


Top with bread crumbs.


 Put under the broiler and cook until browned.











A yummy dinner and I didn't have to make another trip to the grocery store - win win. 











Ciao!









No comments:

Post a Comment