Saturday, March 9, 2013

French Silk Pie


I don't normally make a recipe over and over again simply because I enjoy the challenge of making new recipes.  If I do make a recipe more than once, it's for one of two reasons: it's truly exceptional or because someone has specifically requested it.

The very first time I made this pie, was for a friend's birthday in November.  I liked it so well that I made two more to put in the freezer for Christmas.  I wasn't sure how it would freeze but I pulled it out on Christmas Eve and served it after our Christmas dinner.  It was just as outstanding.

Believe it or not, I made THREE of these french silk pies and I don't have a single picture of a sliced pie!  I love this pie so much that I get all caught up in the excitement about eating it that I forget all about taking pictures.  Normally, I would cut a slice and take a photo of the beautiful chocolate pie but in this case, you are going to have to take my word for it - it's awesome.

French Silk Pie
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons water
1 cup whipping cream
1 baked pie crust (either homemade or store bought)
8 ounces dark chocolate, melted and cooled
1 Tablespoon vanilla
8 Tablespoons butter







 Bake pie crust. (10 minutes at 450.)

















Whip cream in mixer until stiff peaks form.






Combine eggs, sugar and water in bowl of mixer.  Set over double boiler.  Cook and whisk until temperature reaches 160.


Put bowl on mixer and whisk on high 6 minutes.   (or until cooled)


Whisk in melted chocoalte and vanilla.


Add butter, one Tablespoon at a time. 


Fold in whipped cream.



Spoon into pie shell.


This is a delicious pie, no matter what the occasion.  I think I may have to make another just so I can take more pictures of it.  (Pretty poor excuse to eat pie - I know.)

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment