Saturday, May 25, 2013

Chocolate Chip Biscotti



Like so many people, I was in complete awe and disbelief as I watched the Boston Marathon disaster unfold.  In the days following the marathon, as the manhunt ensued, I found myself absolutely glued to CNN live coverage of the events.  I couldn't seem to tear myself away from the television while the news streamed live coverage of the locked down city.  Since I couldn't get my mind on much else, I decided to do what always makes me feel better when I get stressed  - I baked!  I had "liked" this recipe on pinterest several months ago and I just hadn't taken the time to make it. 


Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 24 pieces


Ingredients
  1. 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
  2. 2/3 c packed light brown sugar
  3. 2 tsp baking powder
  4. 1/2 tsp salt
  5. 2 large eggs
  6. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  7. 2 c all-purpose flour
  8. 3/4 c chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  3. In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter for 30 second.
  1. Add baking powder and salt and mix well. 
  1. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Beat in brown sugar. 
  1. Lower the speed of your mixer and add as much flour as you can. Stir the rest in.
  1. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
  1. Transfer the biscotti dough onto the floured surface. 
  1. Shape into a log and divide into two portions. Place both onto prepared baking sheets.
  1. Shape each portion into a 8" log. 
  1. Bake for 20 minutes or until cracked on top and just starting to brown. 
  2. Remove from oven and cool for 15 to 20 minutes. 
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Slice each log diagonally into 3/4" slices (you should get about 12 slices from each log).
  1. Place the slices onto a baking sheet laying them on their sides. 
  1. Bake 10 minutes, then flip each piece onto other side. Bake additional 8 to 10 minutes. 
  1. Cool completely.



If you haven't yet jumped on the biscotti bandwagon - it's time that you do.   It's delicious with your hot cup of coffee at breakfast.  It's a perfect little afternoon snack with a steaming cup of tea.  It's also a great little late night snack when the chocolate cravings hit.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment