Monday, May 20, 2013

Chopped Chicken Salad



The end of the school year is near which means that it's teacher appreciation luncheon time.  I really do appreciate my children's teachers and everything that they do.  Teaching is certainly is not an easy job and it may be the most underpaid profession in America.  Twice a year, the PTO at the school invites parents to help prepare food to treat these well deserving teachers to a luncheon.  

I really wasn't in the mood to make a big casserole for the event and I was already in cupcake overload so I decided to go another way with my luncheon contribution.  I made a big bowl of chopped chicken salad for the teachers (and a couple of extra dinner bowls for Ben and I).

 Chopped Chicken Salad
1 head of romaine lettuce
1 can chick peas
1 can black beans
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 chicken breast, shredded
1/2 avocado, cubed
1/2 cup corn, grilled or roasted
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
1/4 cup blue cheese or feta

Start with a head of romaine lettuce.









Chop with a knife.








Put into a big bowl.  (Or a smaller bowl.)


 Ad grilled, cooked chicken.










 Add black beans.







Add corn and drained chick peas.



Add tomatoes.










Add avocado.








Add blue cheese or feta.



Add fresh cilantro.






The great thing about this salad is that you can add to it, anything that you like.  I like mine with black beans, cilantro and feta.  Ben had artichokes and parsley on his salad.  I had mine with a Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette and Ben ate his salad with Ranch Dressing. 

I have a feeling this salad is going to make some repeat appearances at our dinner table this summer.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment