Saturday, December 20, 2014

Samoa Cupcakes


Anybody else counting down the days until Girl Scout Cookie season?  I do not know what they put in those little things but they are SERIOUSLY addicting.  My crack cookies of choice? - thin mints and samoas. 


I created a cupcake version of the samoa cookie - just to hold me over until the Girl Scouts start peddling their little drugs cookies.  These are ALMOST as good as their cookie counterparts. 


I don't want my baking to ever be compared to a Girl Scout cookie because lets face it - I'd lose every time.  I don't even consider my baking to be in the same category as the Girl Scouts.  I concede that battle before it even starts.  The Girl Scouts are my inspiration - not my competition.  I hope that you enjoy this little cupcake creation based on the Girl Scout Samoa.


Samoa Cupcakes
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
Caramel Sauce
Chocolate Ganache
Toasted Coconut







Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds, set aside.






In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together 1/3 cup butter and 3/4 granulated sugar until pale and fluffy, occasionally scrapping down the sides and bottom of bowl.
 
 
Blend in vegetable oil.


Add in eggs one at a time mixing just until blended after each addition and adding in vanilla with second egg.











Whisk together milk and buttermilk in liquid measuring cup.









Working in three separate batches and beginning and ending with flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/2 of the milk mixture and mix just until combined after each addition.

 











Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups filling each cup nearly 2/3 full (about 1/4 cup batter in each).










Bake in preheated oven 16 - 19 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.


Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin tin several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Spread a layer of chocolate ganache on top of cooled cupcakes.


 Top with a mound of toasted coconut.


Drizzle caramel sauce over coconut.


 Finish with a drizzle of chocolate ganache over the top.


Does anybody else picture actual Girl Scouts in uniforms and sashes working in a bright green kitchen, dipping thin mints into a giant vat of chocolate when they think of Girl Scout cookies?  (I blame Keebler for putting the image of baking elves in my brain.) 


Ciao!










No comments:

Post a Comment