Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hearty Mutligrain Bread



I have been craving this multigrain bread for a couple of weeks now and I just didn't take the time to make it until last weekend.  It is really good and totally worth the effort that goes into baking it.

Multigrain Bread
1 ¼ cups 10 grain cereal                          4 Tablespoons honey
2 ½ cups boiling water                            4 Tablespoons butter
3 cups bread flour                                      2 ½ teaspoons yeast
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour                     1 Tablespoon salt

Place cereal in mixer bowl and pour boiling water over it.

 
Cool for an hour – stirring occasionally. 





Add honey, melted butter and yeast.
















Combine flours.








Add ½ cup of flour at a time while mixing on low.  Knead until dough forms a ball.








Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.










Add salt and knead for 10 minutes.  Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.











Spray two loaf pans and divide dough in half.  Shape each into a loaf and put in loaf pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30-40 minutes.


Spray the top with pam and sprinkle the top with oatmeal.



Bake 25-30 minutes at 375.



The smell of this brad baking in the oven was incredible.   Luckily for me, I was pretty tired so I resisted the urge to slice into the piping hot loaf.   I put the loaves on wire racks to cool and went to bed instead.


 I think I had dreams about the delicious bread cooling in the kitchen.  Of course I sliced a big piece for my breakfast.


It was so good that I cut another slice and toasted it.  (I shared with my family too.)



I put the second loaf of bread in the freezer to save for later.  I wrapped it in plastic wrap and then in foil.









It will take some time to put this bread together but it is so worth it.  It's really good - this one's going under my favorites category.

Ciao!
Multigrain Bread
1 ¼ cups 10 grain cereal                          4 Tablespoons honey
2 ½ cups boiling water                            4 Tablespoons butter
3 cups bread flour                                    2 ½ teaspoons yeast
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour                     1 Tablespoon salt

Place cereal in mixer bowl and pour boiling water over it.  Cool for an hour – stirring occasionally. 
Add honey, melted butter and yeast.  Combine flours.  Add ½ cup of flour at a time while mixing on low.  Knead until dough forms a ball.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
Add salt and knead for 10 minutes.  Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Spray two loaf pans and divide dough in half.  Shape each into a loaf and put in loaf pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30-40 minutes. 
Spray the top with pam and sprinkle the top with oatmeal.
Bake 25-30 minutes at 375

No comments:

Post a Comment