Monday, May 7, 2012

Grilled Fish Tacos




My wonderful husband was out of town for the past couple of weeks and it's safe to say that the kids and I slipped into some pretty poor eating habits while he was away.  It's time for this family to get back on track so I made a batch of fish tacos for dinner to get us back into the groove of healthy eating. I was inspired by a recipe in my Cooking Light magazine but I ended up modifying the recipe quite a bit.  I didn't grind my own spices - I bought ground, I didn't pan fry my fish - I grilled it, and I used parsley instead of cilantro. Despite my alterations, the tacos turned out great.  It feels good to be filling our bodies with healthy foods like fish, mango and avocados instead of cupcakes and buttercream.

Cumin Spiced Fish Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa (modified)
1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 mahi mahi filets
1/2 diced avocado
 1/2 diced mango
2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
2 Tablespoons diced red onions
1/2 Tablespoon lime juice
1/2 diced jalapeno
8 corn tortillas

 



Combine cumin, 1/2 t. salt, paprika, pepper and garlic.  






 




Sprinkle over fish.  Cover and refrigerate.  






Combine 1/2 t. salt, avocado, mango, green onion, red onion, lime juice and jalapeno.  (I'm normally not a fan of fruit salsas but since I love avocados AND mangoes, I decided to give this one a try.)  It really gave these tacos a nice fresh flavor.  I loved it.


 Heat Big Green Egg to 400 and grill fish 5 minutes on each side. 






Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm on the grill during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.








I served the taco ingredients on a platter in the center of the table. 




I served the fish tacos with my version of a southwest salad. I added black beans, diced red peppers, yellow corn and low-fat Mexican cheese to a bed of Romaine lettuce. 
 








I stirred together a batch of lime vinaigrette to drizzle over the salad - delicious.






The tacos were a hit. I really liked the avocado mango salsa with the spicy fish.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.

By the way - they were just as good reheated for lunch the next day!! 

Ciao!



Cumin Spiced Fish Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa (modified)

1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 mahi mahi filets

1/2 diced avocado
 1/2 diced mango
2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
2 Tablespoons diced red onions
1/2 Tablespoon lime juice
1/2 diced jalapeno
8 corn tortillas

Combine cumin, 1/2 t. salt, paprika, pepper and garlic.  Sprinkle over fish.  Cover and refrigerate.  Combine 1/2 t. salt, avocado, mango, green onion, red onion, lime juice and jalapeno.  Heat Big Green Egg to 400 and grill fish 5 minutes on each side. 




No comments:

Post a Comment