Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mexican Corn



 

When I was about 20, my brother and I jumped on a plane and went to Mexico for a vacation.  (My first ever airplane trip and I didn't even have a passport!  Oh how times have changed.)  We spent most of our time in Cuernavaca but spent some time in Mexico City as well.  It was a great vacation and even though it was well over 20 years ago, I can still remember the food that we ate while we were south of the border.

One of the best things that we ate was sold on from vendors on the street.  It was corn on the cob smothered in a melty, gooey, salty cheese and served on a stick.  I was somewhat hesitant to try it but after one bite - I was hooked.  It was amazing and unlike any other corn that I had ever eaten.





I stopped by my favorite roadside produce stand last week and I bought some fresh corn on the cob.  (White silver queen corn to be exact.)







The timing was perfect because I found this recipe for Mexican Grilled Corn in my Cook's Illustrated magazine on the same day.  I had hopes of recreating the delicious corn that I ate in the streets of Mexico.



Mexican Grilled Corn
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons light sour cream
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove
3/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
juice from lime
1/2 cup queso fresco
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 ears corn, husked












Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, 1/4 t. chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, lime juice and cheese.






In separate bowl, combine oil, salt and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.  Add corn and toss to coat.
 








Grill corn over warm charcoal grill until charred.







Remove from heat and mayonnaise mixture.  Serve immediately. 



I am sure that the corn that we ate on the street in Mexico was not this gourmet, but this version is pretty good too.  Unfortunately my super picky teenagers would not even try it.  (That is the reason that only one piece of corn in this picture has the cheesy mixture.) 

This version of corn on the cob would be perfect at any backyard barbeque this summer.  Give it a try.

Ciao!



Mexican Grilled Corn
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons light sour cream
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove
3/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
juice from lime
1/2 cup queso fresco
4 teaspoons vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 ears corn, husked

Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, 1/4 t. chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, lime juice and cheese.  In separate bowl, combine oil, salt and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.  Add corn and toss to coat.  Grill corn over warm charcoal grill until charred.  Remove from heat and mayonnaise mixture.  Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment