Friday, December 13, 2013

Polka Dot Cake


My daughter was given a cake pop pan for her birthday last year and we have had so much fun with it.  I don't always use the cake pop pan, sometimes I make cake pops by hand, like the hot air balloon cake pops.


Sometimes, I like to bake my cake pops in the cake pop pan and sometimes I roll them by hand.  I recently ran across this recipe for a Polka Dot cake while I was doing some research for a first birthday cake.  Sounded like a match made in heaven to me, a first birthday party and a polka dot cake.

Polka Dot Cake

Cake Balls







white cake mix

I don't normally use cake mixes but I've found that they make much better cake pops than my homemade cake batters. 









Prepare cake mix as directed using whole eggs and substituting milk for water.


Divide batter between bowls.  I separated my batter into 7 bowls, measuring out a little more than a half cup of batter into each. 


Tint batter with food coloring.  I used Wilton color gels to make vibrant color.


Spoon batter into the bottom of the greased cake pop pan.








Put lid on cake pop pan and place clips on sides.








 Bake 13 minutes at 350.








I ended up with some mini volcanoes they peeled right off of the pan.



Remove clamps and top of cake pop pan.


Remove pops from pan and place on wire rack to cool.


Transfer pops to a ziploc bag and freeze until firm.








Prepare a white cake batter and pour a small amount in the bottom of greased cake pan.







Place cake balls on top of batter.


Spoon batter on top of cake balls.


I baked 10 inch cakes and they baked for 40 minutes. 


Cool in pan 10 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.



You can barely see the colorful cake balls poking through the cake while it cooled.  I filled this particular cake with a whipped cream filling and frosted it with a swiss meringue buttercream.


Decorate. 


Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment