Thursday, December 19, 2013

Salmon Cakes


Anyone else needing a sugar detox this month?  Seriously, I think I've consumed more sugar in the past 30 days than I've eaten all year.  I need a serious sugar intervention.  I'm not about to take this sugar addiction lying down - it's time to get some healthy food into this body.

My brother first told me about this recipe for Salmon Cakes from Giada.  He described them to me over the phone and made them sound so good that I looked up the recipe for myself and decided to give them a try.  (Thanks for the tip bro.)  


Salmon Cakes
Ingredients
Salmon:
1 pound skinless salmon fillet
Olive oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Patties:
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup (1/2-ounce) chopped fresh chives
26 saltine crackers, crushed, divided
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more, as needed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
 


Put a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle the salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill until the flesh is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, about 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool for 20 minutes.



Patties: Using a fork, flake the salmon into 1/2-inch pieces and put into a medium bowl. Add the egg, chives, 1/2 of the crushed crackers, the corn, mustard, mayonnaise, capers, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix gently until just combined. 


Form the mixture into 2 1/2-inch diameter patties, about 3/4 inches thick. (If the mixture is too dry to form into patties, add extra mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time.)

Carefully coat the patties in the remaining crushed crackers and refrigerate for 1 hour. 


In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden and crispy, about 7 to 8 minutes each side. Drain on paper towels.


Turns out, my brother was absolutely right - these are delicious.   My family gobbled them up and they were super easy to make.  You could even make it with leftover salmon.  Super easy and sugar free - Win, Win. 


I also baked a couple of the patties in the oven instead of frying them.  They were really good baked too.  They didn't get the nice crust from the oil but they were still really tasty.  I'm think I'll be making these again really soon. 

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment