Friday, March 14, 2014

Vegan Chocolate Mousse


I hesitate to even put the word "Vegan" in the title of this post because I don't want that to define this decadent dessert.  I want you to know that this is a creamy, light, fluffy, chocolatey dessert that just so happens to be dairy and egg free!

Just in case you need proof that this really is yummy I'll tell you a quick story.  Ryan happened to walk through the kitchen as I was putting these squares onto a platter.  He asked if her could try one and I said sure.  He took his first bite and said "they're good."  He took another bite and said "these are really good, momma."  My smile at that moment gave away my secret, I couldn't hold it in any longer.  I burst out with "That is Tofu!"  Ryan was shocked - to say the least.








I have to admit that I was equally surprised that you could combine tofu and chocolate and create a delicious dessert because I'm not a huge fan of tofu.  Apparently my suspicious were correct: you can add chocolate to just about anything and it's delicious. 







I got this recipe from my USPCA Personal Chef magazine and I'd been saving it for just the right occasion.  Our friends, Ben and Tracy hosted a Mardi Gras Gumbo party and it just so happens that Tracy is a vegan so I decided to give this new vegan chocolate mousse recipe a try on her.   (You know you're a good friend if I start testing recipes on you.)  

Chocolate Mousse
1 1/2 packages of chocolate graham crackers
4 Tablespoons vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance)
1 bag of chocolate chips  (The best chocolate you can find)
14 ounces soft tofu
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond or soy milk

Press the tofu between paper towels to remove some of the moisture.   (I put a plate on top to add some extra pressure.)








This is what my tofu looked like when I removed the plate and towel.   










Melt chocolate in the microwave.  I used Guittard Extra Semisweet Chocolate Chips.  (Soooooo good.)



Process graham crackers in a food processor.

  
Melt butter substitute and add to graham cracker crumbs.  

Press into a greased 9x13 pan. 
  

Process tofu, vanilla and soy milk in food processor.  Confession time - this mixture did not smell very appealing.  I thought about aborting the recipe right here but I continued. 


While the food processor is running.  Pour in melted chocolate. 


This made a really creamy mousse mixture almost immediately.
Pour mixture over crust. 













Refrigerate at least 4 hours.  Cut into squares.










I finished my squares by sprinkling some the extra graham cracker crumbs over the top.


So easy and so yummy.  You might just be surprised at how many people (vegans AND non vegans) really enjoy these.  I certainly was.






Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment