Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Black Bean Burgers


OK so I'm just going to put this out there to begin with because I know what MOST of you are already thinking: Black Bean Burgers - gross.  I have to admit that these are not the most visually appealing burgers that I've ever made but what they lack in appearance, they make up for in taste.  These meat-free burgers are DELICIOUS.  I would much prefer to eat one of these over a beef burger any day.  They are really tasty and super yummy.  It was hard for me to eat just one.

This recipe came from Taste of Home and since it makes 8 "burgers" I have plenty left over for lunch for the rest of the week and even a few got thrown into the freezer for another cookout night.


Black Bean Burgers
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup quinoa
15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
2 Tablespoons reduced sodium taco seasoning
whole wheat buns

In saucepan, bring water to a boil.  Add quinoa, cover and simmer 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.


In a large bowl, mash black beans.


Add salsa.  (Lucky for me, I just made a new batch.)


















Add crushed tortilla chips, taco seasoning and quinoa.


















Form into 8 patties.


 Grill or bake at 350 for 25 minutes.


I had a little trouble keeping my burger together on the grill so I think I might try and bake a batch to see if they hold together a little better.  These were sooooo good and super easy to make.  I highly recommend that you try a batch of these - even if you are a beef lover.

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment