Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Coconut Chicken Strips


Anyone else feel like they overindulged on goodies lately?  I certainly do.  Our kitchen has been full of cheesy, buttery, sugary, fattening deliciousness and I think I've sampled it ALL.  I just can't seem to resist the rolls or the pound cake with fresh whipped cream and strawberries anymore.  I definitely cant get into the habit of eating like that.

Feeling the need to lighten up, I opted for a recipe for Coconut Strips from Cooking Light.  They were exactly what I needed to launch myself back into healthy eating.


These chicken strips were REALLY tasty and super simple AND baked instead of fried!  (A perfect trifecta of dinner.)  I thought they were delicious over a big salad but the rest of my family had their chicken strips with some leftovers.  Macaroni and cheese, potato casserole and homemade rolls made a nice accompaniment to this chicken dish too.


Coconut Chicken Strips
2 large chicken breasts (cut into thin strips)
1/2 cup flour
2 egg whites, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup panko
salt and pepper

Process coconut and panko in food processor until finely ground.


Set up 3 bowls for dipping chicken into flour, egg whites and panko. 


Dip chicken into flour, then egg and then coat with panko/coconut mixture.  Place on a greased, foil lined baking sheet.


Bake 6 minutes at 450.  Turn and bake another 6 minutes.


So, if you are a fan of coconut - you need to try this chicken.  Seriously, super easy and really tasty.  These are my new favorite chicken strips. 



 If you're like me, go ahead and toss them on top of a nice big salad to make your meal complete.


I'm not sure but I'm guessing that this dinner actually cancelled out the 6000 calories that I consumed yesterday.  (right?!)

Ciao!

























No comments:

Post a Comment