Friday, July 18, 2014

Bluberry Buckle




What in the world is a buckle? It's similar to a cobbler or a crumble. I guess I would describe it as a cross between a blueberry coffee cake and blueberry studded yellow cake. OK so I'm not very good at describing it but I can tell you that it's delicious. (That's what's really important anyway, right?)

This was my very first attempt at a buckle and I have to say - I quite liked it. I found the recipe in my Cooks Illustrated magazine. It looked so good in the pictures that I doubled the recipe on my very first attempt. (I know, I'm living on the edge.) I served this cake at a brunch for dinner kind of party - it was a big hit.



Blueberry Buckle
Streusel
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch salt
4 Tablespoons butter, softened

Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
10 Tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest from 1 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups blueberries

For the streusel, Combine flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt in mixer.


Mix with a flat beater, adding butter, 1 Tablespoon at a time until mixture resembles coarse sand.









For Cake, Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl.







Cream butter, sugar, salt and lemon zest with a flat beater.


Beat in vanilla and eggs, 1 at a time.


Gradually beat in flour until just combined.



Fold in blueberries.



Spread into a greased 9 inch cake circle with a parchment paper liner.



Use hand to squeeze and crumble streusel over the top of the cake.










Bake 55 minutes at 350.




After 15 minutes, flip onto wire racks to cool completely.




Slice and serve.






The best part about this buckle is that it's perfectly acceptable to eat any time of day.  Eat it in the morning as a coffee cake or in the evening as a dessert - either way - delicious. 

Ciao!


































No comments:

Post a Comment