Saturday, July 19, 2014

Confetti Cake

My family has a favorite ice cream spot near my parent's house that is a required stop during our annual summer visit to Ohio.  The portions are huge and the the custard is delicious but more importantly, I can get my ice cream covered in sprinkles!  The cone on the left is a picture of my niece's SMALL cone and the one on the left is my kiddy twist cone with crunch coat and eyes!


What is it about sprinkles and candy eyes that I just can't seem to resist?  I don't care how old you are - there is still a kid in all of us.  Confident that I'm not the only 40 something adult that gets excited about sprinkles, I decided to make a confetti cake - for kids AND adults. 


My confetti cake recipe came from my Cooks magazine.


Confetti Cake
1 1/2 cups rainbow sprinkles
12 large eggs
1 1/3 cups whole milk
4 teaspoons vanilla
6 cups cake flour
3 cups sugar
8 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
32 Tablespoons butter








Pulse 1 cup of sprinkles in the food processor.















Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl.







With mixer running, add butter, 1 Tablespoon at a time until crumbly.


 Combine egg whites, vanilla and milk.


Add all but 1/2 cup egg mixture to mixer.  Beat 1 minute on medium.


Add remaining egg mixture.


Stir in sprinkles.


Divide batter between 3 greased nine inch cake pans.


Bake 30 minutes at 350.


Cool completely.  To layer, start with 1 cake layer on a 10 inch cake circle.


Spread a thin layer of buttercream frosting on top.


Repeat.


Top with a final cake layer and frost entire cake with a thin coat of buttercream.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour.




Turns out, my assumptions were correct - people of ALL ages like sprinkles and more importantly, cake with sprinkles.  Maybe eating confetti cake makes us feel like a kid again but if that's what it takes to feel younger - go for it.  

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment