I am fairly certain that I was in college when I had my first hostess cupcake. I had heard my friends talk about them as if they were a magnificently delicious treat but it wasn't something that my mom ever kept in the house so I didn't really have access to them until I moved away to college. As it turned out - I really wasn't missing out on anything. What I thought was going to be a tasty treat turned out to be a big disappointment.
Even though I didn't like the hostess cupcake, I still like the idea of a moist, chocolaty cupcake filled with a pillowy, soft, buttery marshmallow cream. (Who wouldn't?) I found the idea for these cupcakes on Martha Stewart.com and I took her idea and ran with it. I wanted to keep the frosting on these little treats to a minimum because really - most of the sweet frosting is in the middle of the cupcake.
Cream Filled Cupcakes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 7 ounces marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature