Monday, November 17, 2014

Mocha Mint Cookies


Start your coffee pots friends because you're going to want a steaming cup of joe to sip while you enjoy this deliciously minty, coffee flavored cookie. 


I wish that I could capture the smell of these cookies baking in the oven and bottle it. The combination of the coffee, the mint and the buttery cookie was intoxicating.  (hint, hint - Yankee candle)


I have a second batch of this mocha mint dough in my freezer and I'm thinking that I if I bake one cookie every day, my house will smell like a bakery coffee shop all season long.  :) If only I could do that without EATING the mocha mint cookie every day. 


Mocha Mint Cupcakes
  • 2 and 1/4 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tablespoon instant coffee
  • 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks or 170 grams) unsalted butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup (150 grams) light brown sugar, loosely packed
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cup Andes Mint Baking Chips

Toss together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, cocoa powder, and instant coffee in a large bowl. Set aside.





Beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain.
Beat in the egg, then the egg yolk.  Finally, whisk in the vanilla.


Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft.

 
Fold in 1 and 1/4 cup Andes Mint pieces. They may not stick to the dough because of the melted butter, but do your best to have them evenly dispersed among the dough. Cover the dough and chill for 1 hour, or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory.



Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften at room temperature for 10 minutes.  Roll the dough into disks.  Flatten slightly.



Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. For a crispier-edged cookie, bake for 13 minutes. The cookies will continue to bake on the cookie sheet when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


Pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy.



Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Did you flatten the balls before putting in oven? It appears that you did in the photos, but it is not in the instructions. Thanks. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct, I did flatten the dough balls slightly before putting them on my baking sheets. I almost always turn my dough into disks instead of balls because it prevents them from rolling all over the baking sheet. I think it was just force of habit that I worded the recipe that way but I appreciate you pointing out the confusion. Thank you for stopping by the blog and I hope that you enjoy the cookies.

      Delete