Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting


I went a little overboard on the canned pumpkin this year.  Let's just say that I get a little over excited when I start seeing pumpkin on the display shelves at the supermarket and I feel the need to stock up.  (The pumpkin shortage of 2012 has traumatized me.)  I just can't help but fill my basket with the vitamin packed vegetable.  I think at one point, I had 8 cans of pumpkin on my pantry shelf at one time. 


I've gone through LOTS of my pumpkin in the last few months but I'm starting to feel like the pumpkin clock is running out.  Before long it will be time to move onto gingerbread and eggnog recipes. 

The pressure of how to use up my last few cans of pumpkin, builds.  Which recipes are worthy of being the last pumpkin recipes of the season?  (Am I the only person who experiences pumpkin anxiety?)  


I found a new pumpkin cupcake recipe on cookingclassy.com that looked very promising.   A beautiful golden pumpkin cupcake topped with a layer of smooth, dark, chocolate ganache and topped with a swirl of creamy, cinnamon scented frosting and chopped pecans.  Sounds like the perfect way to round out pumpkin season to me. 


Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk

Chocolate Ganache

Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt, set aside. In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.


Add eggs and stir until combine.


Stir in pumpkin puree and buttermilk and stir until well combine.


Slowly add dry ingredients. Stir until no longer lumpy about 1 - 2 minutes.


Pour about 1/4 cup mixture into paper lined muffin cups and bake 20 - 23 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

 
Let cupcakes cool 5 minutes in muffin tin. Remove to a wire rack and let cool 30 minutes.




Top with chocolate ganache.


Top with a swirl of cinnamon cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped pecans. 
 

Happy Fall.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment