Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Avocado Chocolate Cookies


I found this recipe for "healthy chocolate cookies" on pixiedustkitchen.com.
You've probably already figured out from the title of the post that they are made with avocados!  No butter, no oil and no eggs - just avocado!


As if I didn't love the avocado enough already, now I can bake them into cookies?  My love affair with avocados continues. 

Avocado Chocolate Cookies
Recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 1 small avocado
  • 3/4 C honey
  • 1/2 C Brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 c flour (1 C whole wheat; 1 C white)
  • 3/4 C chocolate powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbs milk
  • 1 and 1/2 C chocolate chips
Slice and pit the avocado. Place into the bowl of a stand mixer with honey, sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix until combined. 


Yes, I know that this is a disgusting looking picture of a cookie batter.  Trust me when I tell you that the putrid color is not a good indicator of the delicious cookie that it is about to be turned into.














In a medium bowl, sift together flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch.








Slowly mix into the wet ingredients.


Add the chocolate chips.  My dough looks a little dry because the recipe that I was using, neglected to add milk to the list of ingredients that needed to be added to the avocado, sugar mixture.  I realized when I had this ball of very stiff dough.  I went back and added the milk later. 


Let chill for 2-36 hours.  Roll into heaping tablespoon mounds and flatten slightly.


Bake at 350˚F for 8-10 minutes.


Let cool slightly on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.






My first batch came out a little puffy because I didn't flatten them enough before I baked them.  





The second batch came out much better.

These cookies didn't really compare to my double chocolate cookies but for a cookie with no butter and no oil and no egg, I'd say that they were pretty good.  They were even better after I had frozen them and then had them cold cookie with a cup of steaming, hot coffee. 

We all got up early one morning to meet our guides for the horseback tour at a local coffee shop in Colorado.  (How about that for a smooth transition?)  I was loving the cool 40 degree July mornings in Breckenridge. 


While we waited to meet our guide, we enjoyed some hot coffee and snapped some quick family pictures.  (Anybody else thinking these would be good Christmas card photos?)


While we were sitting outside, enjoying our coffee, we watched the hummingbirds come and go from a feeder that hung from a nearby tree.  It was fascinating to watch these tiny birds drink in their morning breakfast.


After our horseback adventure, we headed to Lake Dillon for a picnic.



Yes I know that I skipped over the horseback pictures completely.  Never fear, they will be on Friday's blog post.  Be sure and check back for those pics.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment