Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cedar Planked Shrimp

 
I hope that you are sitting down to read this blog post because I have an announcement that will knock you off your feet ... I am on instragram and twitter!


I said it would never happen but here I am - a social networker.  Ryan and Courtney had the look of fear on their faces when I told them that I was about to join their social networks and I've got to tell you, I was little afraid myself.  The instragram and twitter worlds were in a word - intimidating.  I decided that I had to jump in and get involved though and there was no better time than now.  I've been on Facebook for several years, I am active on Pinterest - I can even Snapchat.  How much harder could it be to learn instragram and twitter?  (Famous last words.)

I can tell you that nothing makes me feel older than trying to learn to tweet or send an instragram.  Seriously, I'm a college educated adult, and it took me well over a week to successfully send an instagram.   To add to my frustration, I would see small children using twitter in the grocery store.  At one point I seriously considered asking one of these children for help but I figured it was a problem that couldn't be solved in the amount of time that it took for the girl behind the counter to scan my groceries. 

So, I humbled myself and turned to the two social network experts that live in my house for some tutoring. Ryan and Courtney did their best to patiently walk me through the process.  (And trust me, it was a PROCESS!)  It took some time but I finally feel like I am on my way to being an instragram and a twitter expert.  (Well, maybe not an EXPERT but I am definitely better than I was a couple of weeks ago.)

So what in the world am I going to do on instragram and twitter, you ask?  I'm talking about food of course.  The foods that I'm snacking on, fresh finds at the grocery store, the meals that I order at a restaurant, etc.  It's not possible for me to blog in real time, like what I'm making for dinner, for example, but I can post it on instragram and twitter as I'm preparing it.  So cool. 


I'm also talking about my workouts because let's face it, there's no way that I could eat all that yummy food and not do something to work it off.  I'll let you know which workouts are keeping me motivated and in shape.  I'm also talking about my favorite workout gear and what I'm listening to while I work out. 

This is where you come in.  I need followers.  If you have an instragram or a twitter account, you can follow me using the links on the right side of the blog.  Also, don't forget that you can still follow me on Facebook and Pinterest too. 

If you're not quite ready to jump on the instragram and the twitter bandwagon, and you need something a little less complicated, try my cedar planked shrimp.  It's really easy and it's delicious.


I made this shrimp a few weeks ago and it was a big hit with everyone.


 
Cedar Planked Shrimp
Brine
8 cups water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoons black peppercorns
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 Tablespoons sugar
8 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
2 halved lemons

Combine all ingredients. 








Pour into a saucepan, bring to a boil, remove from heat, cool and refrigerate.













Place shrimp in a bowl and add brine.  Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. 













Soak cedar planks in water for 1 hour.









Shrimp
2 pounds shrimp, unpeeled
2 cedar planks
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon grated garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon melted butter
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Drain shrimp and pat dry.  Combine oil and next 8 ingredients.


 Add shrimp and toss to coat.


Arrange shrimp on planks and place plank over hot coals.  Cover and grill 6 minutes.

 

Serve with rice, over a salad, in a taco or just plain.



Make sure that you buy shrimp that is deviened but still has the peel on for this recipe.  You will be glad that you don't have to spend the time deviening while you're preparing the shrimp. 

Don't forget to sign up to follow me on facebook, pinterest, instragram and twitter.  I'll see you there.

Ciao!







No comments:

Post a Comment