Friday, February 28, 2014

Brisket Carbonnade


It's the end of February and I'm ready to put away my winter clothes.   I'm tired of winter boots and scarves, I'm ready to swap them out for t-shirts and sandals.  I'm ready for the daffodils in my front yard to burst into bloom.  I'm ready to put away my hearty winter recipes and start making some lighter spring meals.  Before, I retire my winter menu though, I have one more hearty and delicious meal to share with you.  Brisket Carbonnade from Cook's Country was an excellent way to end our season of hearty winter meals. 

Brisket Carbonnade
4 onions
3 1/2 pound beef brisket
2 Tablespoons oil
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups beer
4 springs thyme
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard







 
Slice 3 onions thinly.













Chop remaining onion in food processor.












Pat beef dry with paper towels.  Season with salt and pepper.









Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet until smoking.  Add beef and brown and all sides.


Remove beef from skillet and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.







Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet again.  Add sliced onions and cook until golden brown.












Stir in tomato paste and garlic.


















Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes.


















Stir in pureed onion and cook until thickened.







Stir in beer, thyme, bay leaves, sugar and vinegar.  Bring to a boil.


Pour over beef and cover pan with foil.








Cook 2 -3 hours at 325 or until its fork tender.  Remove from oven, let rest 1 hour before slicing.







Slice beef and skim fat from sauce.









Whisk mustard into pan sauce and serve with pork.








A super delicious meal for a cold February night.  It was a great winter but I'm looking forward to a some nice warm March days.  Anybody else excited about Spring already or am I jumping the gun?

Ciao!








No comments:

Post a Comment