Tuesday, February 25, 2014


I had suspected that something was not quite right with my camera for quite some time and unfortunately, my nightmare came true just weeks before Christmas.

There I was, in the middle a gymnasium full of screaming wrestling fans happily photographing Ryan in what I considered to be his least awkward wrestling positions of the match.  I had snapped at least 75 pictures of the tournament prior to his match without any problems and then it happened - or didn't happen:  My camera froze.  I tried all of the "quick fixes" that I could think of (powering off and on again, taking the battery out and replacing it, etc.)  but nothing seemed to work.

To make a long story short, I spent most of the remainder of the weekend researching how I could repair my poor camera.  After taking the camera apart (several times) and lubricating the gears without any success, I finally realized that my poor little camera was in need of some professional help. 

I did some investigating and after several phone calls I finally found a camera shop that agreed to look the issues that were causing my camera to freeze up.  Monday morning, I packed up my camera and headed to the other side of Atlanta with a pit in my stomach that I just couldn't shake.  It was at this point that I realized just how attached to my camera I had become.  I was so nervous about turning my camera over to someone else and I could hardly stand the thought of being without her for an undetermined amount of time.

Once I got to the shop and met the fully competent camera repairman, I felt a little better but it was still hard to drive away without her, not knowing exactly when I would get her back.  (I felt like I should have been sitting in a waiting room for overprotective camera owners to wait while their cameras are examined.)  Within 48 hours, I had received the phone call that I was eagerly anticipating since I had dropped her off. 

It was good news - the problem had been identified and the camera could be repaired in just over a week.  I was thrilled. Yes, I know - it's just a camera but a food blogger without a camera is just a well-fed journalist.

While my camera was in the shop, I had to make due with my "spy" camera.  It doesn't always take the best pictures in low light but if the sun shines through just the right spot in the kitchen, I can capture some decent shots.

I made this tiramisu while my camera was in the shop so I took all of the pictures with my little camera.  You'll have to excuse the weird shots.

2 1/2 cups strong coffee                1 1/2 Tablespoons instant espresso
9 Tablespoons grand marnier        6 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar                                 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds mascarpone              3/4 cup heavy cream
42-60 ladyfingers, dried                 3 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa
1/4 bittersweet chocolate               1/3 cup cream

While I was taking pictures of my Grand Marnier ... I got photobombed. (Silly dog)

Stir coffee, espresso and 5 T. Grand Marnier.

In mixer combine yolks, sugar, salt and 1/3 c. cream.

Set over simmering water and cook until mixture coats rubber spatula.  (4-7 minutes)  Remove from heat, stir in 4 T. grand marnier and mascarpone and beat 1 minute with whisk attachment.

Transfer to another bowl.  In mixer, whip 3/4 cup heavy cream until stiff peaks form.

Fold into cheese mixture.

I found these ladyfingers at World Market.

I also bought some little trifle cups at wal mart.

Measure the ladyfingers to fit into the bottom of the dish that you are using.

Dip each ladyfinger into coffee mixture for 2 seconds.  Layer into bottom of a 9x13 pan or individual cups.

Spread 1/2 of cheese mixture on top.

Add another layer of soaked ladyfingers.

Finish with remaining cream.


Sprinkle with cocoa.

Refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.  You can also cover these delicate desserts and put them in the freezer for up to 2 months.  They defrost beautifully in the frig overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment