Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chili

The ice storm continues to paralyze the city of Atlanta.  I am extremely grateful that we still have power at our house and I am prying for the thousands of people in Atlanta that are without power today.  The sleet and freezing rain seemed to fall continuously yesterday.  I kept looking for a break in the weather so I could run out and snap a few pictures to document the storm but it just never seemed to stop sleeting.  I finally went out and took some pictures from my front porch because I really didn't want to venture out into the ice with my camera.  (Good excuse right?)


The ice wreaked havoc on the roads but it sure made for some interesting pictures. 

This family will be enjoying another day at home today. Yesterday I tackled a big puzzle so I think today I'm going to spend some time reading my book.  (I Love Snow Ice Days.)  Of course there will be some yummy snow day snacks as well.  On the menu tonight - chili. 


Chili

1 bags dry small red beans 

1 lb. ground hamburger 

1 large onion, diced 

6 bay leaves

1 teaspoon salt
2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes









Soak beans in large pot overnight.








Put beans in a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, partially covered.











In the meantime, heat 1 Tablespoon oil in skillet and add onion.  Saute until tender.










Add ground beef and cook until browned.


 




 In a large pot, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bay and spices
 








Stir to combine and simmer 15 minutes.













Stir in beef mixture.














Add cooked beans and adjust salt seasoning if needed.
















Stir in pot.


How cute is that wooden spoon?  It makes me smile every time I see it  because it just smiles back at me.


Hopefully I can venture out beyond my front porch today to take a few more pictures of the snow.  We'll see how that goes.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment