Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Creamy Chicken Soup


Here we go again Atlanta - snowmageddon - part 2!  Never fear - the Davis family is prepared to wait out this latest winter storm.  I made my trip to the grocery store on Monday afternoon --- along with every other person that lives in my town.  (Crazy long checkout lines - longer than they were at Christmas!)  I wasn't looking for bread and milk though - this family prefers to weather winter storms with chicken soup and cookies.  I made a great big batch of creamy chicken soup on Monday night to get us through this nasty ice storm.  I used a recipe from www.thecookierookie.com as my inspiration for my yummy homemade soup. Don't be fooled by the "creamy" word though, I made this soup with 2% milk - no milk involved.  Creamy soup without the cream - oh baby.

Creamy Chicken Soup
FOR THE ROUX
4 T flour
2 T olive oil
2 T butter – unsalted

2 T butter – unsalted
4 stalks carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet yellow onion – diced
4 cups chicken stock or broth (or a combo) – low salt or unsalted
3½ cups 2 % milk
2 T chicken base granules
1 t fresh cracked pepper
1 T dried parsley
3 bay leaves
1½ t Herbs of Provence (provincial herbs)
¼ t garlic powder
3 cups rotisserie chicken – cubed or shredded and cooked
shredded Parmesan cheese


To make the roux








Heating the oil and butter in pot then sprinkling the flour on top.












Whisk together until fully absorbed and turns almost golden.






Take off the heat and set aside while combining other ingredients.
Melt remaining butter in pot.  Add vegetables and cook until tender.








Combine remaining ingredients.








Add to pot with vegetables and bring to a boil.


Simmer until thickened and creamy.  Ladle into bowls.


Top with parmesan cheese.


This soup was soooooo good --- and easy.  As for the winter weather - not so good. We still have power this morning so that's a plus but we did wake up to LOTS of ice.  The ice and sleet are expected to last all day today.  I will be sure to document the storm in pictures as soon as I can get outside.  This should be interesting - maybe I should have the kids videotape me trying to take pictures of the storm. 

Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment