Monday, June 23, 2014

Lemon Chewies


I found a recipe for lemon chewies on endlesslyinspired.com and I can assure you that they didn't look ANYTHING like these do. 

I'm not sure what I did wrong because the ingredients and the instructions were very simple.  There just wasn't a lot of room for error but somehow, I managed to screw them up.

They weren't a complete disaster.  I did eat one and I passed a couple out to friends but I am still baffled by the fact that I could mess them up. 



These cookies are vegan and they contain coconut oil and the only thing that I can think of that might have altered the cookies is that my coconut oil was a little old.  (Ironically, that was the very reason that I wanted to make these cookies in the first place - to use of the rest of my coconut oil.)


Lemon Chewies
Ingredients
  1. 1/2 c sugar, plus more for rolling
  2. 1/2 c coconut oil
  3. 1 T fresh lemon juice
  4. 1/4 t lemon zest
  5. 3 T honey (for truly vegan use molasses, agave or another plant based sweetener)
  6. 2 c flour
  7. 1 tsp salt
  8. 1 tsp baking powder
Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment.
 




Cream together the sugar and coconut oil until fluffy. 
Then mix in the lemon juice and zest, followed by the honey.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture and mix until smooth.  I had to add more coconut oil because the dough was so crumbly that I couldn't even get it to stay together in a ball.
 
Roll dough into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar.

Place onto the baking pan and flatten slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set and lightly browned.

So here they are - little lemon biscuits - I will call them.  They didn't flatten into nice little round disks like I had expected but overall, not a bad biscuit. 



Has anyone else tried this recipe with success?  If you've got any suggestions for me, send me a comment, I'd love to hear them.

Ciao!








No comments:

Post a Comment