Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sweet Fire Pork Chops


I went to the grocery store TWICE in search of some nice, thick, bone-in porterhouse pork chops and both times, I was disappointed and came up empty handed.  I had a recipe for Sweet Fire Porterhouse Pork Chops that I was anxious to try and sadly, couldn't find descent pork chops anywhere.  After my second attempt to locate the pork chops, I finally gave in and decided to go in a completely different direction with this recipe.  I took the opposite approach and went with wafer thin chops instead.


Does it seem odd to anyone else that the serving suggestion on the package of "wafer thin" pork chops is a nice thick cut chop?  Thick cut chops were no where to be found - trust me.  

After a few modifications, I attempted the sweet fire pork chop recipe with my wafer thin chops.  Not too bad, if I do say so myself.


Sweet Fire Pork Chops
4 pork chops (wafer thin)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chipolte pepper 
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
zest of 1 orange
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/3 cup honey

Combine oil, chipolte, salt, orange zest and garlic in a small bowl.


 Spread mixture over both sides of pork and let sit for 15 minutes.



 Grill 5 minutes on one side.



 Turn and brush with honey.  Grill another 5 minutes or until completely cooked through.



 The nice thing about thin chops is that they cook up really fast.  




Add some brown rice and a sweet potato and voila - a quick summer meal.  



I reduced the amount of chipolte from the original recipe and I think it was still a little bit to spicy for my family.   I thought that the honey would take away more of the heat that it did so I think I may switch it out with chili powder the next time that I make these.  Who knows, maybe I will even find some nice, thick pork chops so I can try it again.

Ciao!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment