Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pavlova


Crispy meringue, sweet whipped cream and fresh berries - oh yea - sign me up. 


This dessert is so pretty - it's almost too pretty to eat.  (Hahaha, like that ever stopped me from eating a dessert.)


I made these little individual cream filled, berry topped pavlovas for a friend's birthday last month.  I wanted to make something that was bright and colorful and I know that this friend really likes meringues.


These are super easy to make - even though it looks like it took a lot of time - it really doesn't.  I baked them just before I went to bed and then left them in the oven to cool overnight.  The next morning, they were perfect and ready to top. 





Pavlova Shell
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cup casters (superfine) sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch, sifted
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups of fresh berries




Preheat oven to 300. Place the egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form.


Gradually add the sugar, whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy (the mixture should have tripled in volume and stand up when the beaters are lifted).


Add the cornstarch, vanilla and vinegar and whisk until just combined.


Shape the mixture into an 7″ round on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.


Reduce oven to 250 and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven.


Whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Spread over the pavlova.


Top with fresh berries.


OK, so now, I'm drooling and I'm headed to the refrigerator to get some berries.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment