Friday, October 17, 2014

Pina Colada Cupcakes


One of the things that I love about my job is that I get to constantly try out new cupcake and icing flavors.  The good part about that is that I get to EAT lots of new cupcakes flavors.  The down side it  that it also means that I spend way too much of my time scouring the internet for new cupcake ideas and recipes. 


After all the cupcakes that I've made, it's hard to believe that there are still flavors out there that I've never even tried.  Every once in a while, I see a recipe or I get a request for a cupcake flavor that is completely new. 


I've seen recipes for pina colada cupcakes in the past but none have really jumped out at me so I've never made them before.  It wasn't until I got a special order for pina colada cupcakes that I realized just how delicious they could be.


Moist vanilla cupcakes flavored with pineapple juice and coconut milk, filled with coconut cream and topped with a coconut buttercream and a pineapple flower.  Delicious AND beautiful.


I am so thankful for my customers that trust me enough to order cupcakes that I've never made before. 

  
Pina Colada Cupcakes
  • 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (150g) light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) full fat coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract




Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
Make the cupcakes: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.












Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.














Whisk in brown sugar and granulated sugar.








 Whisk in egg, pineapple juice, coconut milk, and vanilla extract until combined.


Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain.


Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


 Cut a hole in the center of each cupcake.



Whip coconut cream with the desired amount of powdered sugar - depending on amount of sweetness you prefer.


Spoon a Tablespoon of coconut cream into each cupcake hole.


Prepare a batch of vanilla buttercream.  Add 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract.


 Top each cupcake with coconut buttercream.


Top with a pineapple flower and VOILA - pina colada cupcake perfection.





Just in case you are curious about how I made the pineapple flowers (and I know you are) I will post the tutorial tomorrow on the blog.

Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment