Friday, March 30, 2012

Rice Bowls

I traveled to Gainesville yesterday to watch my son play baseball.  I wanted to leave dinner for my husband and my daughter before I left for the game so I tried a new recipe for chicken and rice bowls.  I wasn't really sure how this was going to go over but I decided it was worth a try.

I found this recipe in the April issue of Cooking Light.   I had leftover chicken and broccoli so I modified the recipe and made it even easier. 


Chicken and Broccoli Rice Bowl
3 cups small broccoli florets, steamed
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 ounces light Velvetta cheese, cubed







Heat oil in skillet, add chicken and warm through.












Add cheese and onions.













Stir in rice and broccoli.  Heat through. 












I served the chicken rice bowls in these awesome little mugs that my sister in law got me for Christmas.  They even have lids.

 


The verdict: They loved it!  I have to admit that I was somewhat surprised that they liked it as much as they did.  It was really quick to put together and they just warmed them in the microwave.  This is a great healthy meal to keep in the frig for my hungry teenagers.

Ciao!



Chicken and Broccoli Rice Bowl
3 cups small broccoli florets, steamed
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 ounces light Velvetta cheese, cubed

Heat oil in skillet, add chicken and warm through.  Add cheese and onions.  Stir in rice and broccoli.  Heat through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment