Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Buttermilk Yeast Rolls




It's July in Atlanta - why not make the best of the heat and humidity and bake yeast rolls?  I made a batch of honey buttermilk roll dough just after lunch and set it out on the porch to rise while I took the kids to the pool for the afternoon.  When I got home from the pool, the dough was beautifully risen and ready to shape into rolls.  I formed my rolls and set them back out on the porch to rise a second time while I got the rest of our dinner ready.  Homemade yeast rolls can be intimidating if you've never made them before but they really are quite easy once you get the hang of it. 
Honey Buttermilk Rolls
1 teaspoon sugar                  
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast                  
3 Tablespoons honey
1/2 cup warm water                  
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
3 3/4 cups bread flour              
1 teaspoon salt
Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.

 


Combine 2 cups flour, warm buttermilk, honey, butter and salt.  Beat until smooth.



 Add yeast.



Knead in remaining flour.

 


Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.
Before:

 

 After:





Divide into 24 rolls, cover and let rise 45 minutes.
Before:

 




After:



Bake 18 minutes at 350.


 


I'm not really sure why but these rolls didn't rise as much as they usually do but they were still quite tasty. 





My rolls don't always come out perfect - actually, they rarely turn out perfect.  I still enjoy watching the dough rise as the yeast works it's magic in the warm, humid air.  I like the feel of the dough in my hands as I shape it into tiny balls.  I love the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven and I love the look on my family's faces when I served piping hot rolls with dinner. 
Even if you have never made a batch of homemade yeast rolls - I encourage you to give it a try.  If you  have any questions or you need help along the way, send me a comment and I will do my best to help.  Over the years, I think I've made almost every mistake in the book so don't be shy.
Ciao!




Honey Buttermilk Rolls
1 teaspoon sugar                  
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast                  
3 Tablespoons honey
1/2 cup warm water                  
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
3 3/4 cups bread flour              
1 teaspoon salt
Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.  Add 2 cups flour, warm
buttermilk, honey, butter and salt to yeast.  Beat until smooth.  Knead
in remaining flour.   Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1
hour.  Divide into 24 rolls, cover and let rise 45 minutes.  Bake 18
minutes at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment