Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tequilla Chicken




My new issue of Cooking Light magazine arrived just as I was planning my Father's Day lunch menu.  I had planned on grilling some steel head trout but I wanted to put some chicken on the grill as well - for the non-fish eaters of the group.  On the cover of my newly delivered magazine was the most delicious looking grilled chicken - perfect timing.



My picture of the chicken doesn't even compare to the photograph of the cover of the magazine but I promise you that it was delicious.  I am pretty good about taking pictures of our food unless I'm entertaining and photographing at the same time.  I still struggle with getting everything cooked and ready to serve AND photographed while trying to entertain guests.  I'm hoping that it will get easier over time.  In the meantime, the couple of quick photos that I snapped while everyone filled their plates will have to suffice.   (Yes, I did fill my plate first so that I could take pictures.  Not really the best way to be a proper hostess.)
I changed the recipe a little so I will give you my modified version of the Grilled Chicken Thighs with Ancho-Chili Glaze recipe. 


Grilled Chicken Breast with Chipolte Chili Glaze
1 Tablespoon chipolte chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoons salt
4 bone in skin on chicken breasts
1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
6 Tablespoons agave syrup (I used the light syrup.)
3 Tablespoons tequilla
1 1/2 Tablespoons hot sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon lime juice
Combine chili powder and next 5 ingredients.

 


Sprinkle over chicken.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.

 

 
Place syrup and next 5 ingredients in a saucepan.

 

 
Bring to a boil.

 


Cook until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup and begins to thicken.



Place chicken on a hot grill and cook until no longer pink.  Five minutes before finished, brush chicken with glaze.  Serve.
This was a great meal to serve to guests because I could do all of the prep work a day ahead of time.  My chicken marinated in the refrigerator overnight with the spice rub and I made my sauce ahead of time and stored that in the refrigerator also.  When it came time for the party, I simply took the chicken out of the refrigerator and put it on the grill.
I can't really take the credit for this chicken because my husband is the one who did the grilling.  (He did an excellent job by the way.)  I served the chicken with herbed basmati rice and some roasted broccoli.





This chicken dinner was a winner AND we have lots left over.  <Bonus>  My husband even cut some of the chicken up and added it to a pasta salad that my daughter made for dinner that night.  (Yum.)  So many ways to eat grilled chicken.  (Is anybody else thinking theme week?) 



Ciao!

Grilled Chicken Breast with Chipolte Chili Glaze
1 Tablespoon chipolte chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoons salt
4 bone in skin on chicken breasts
1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
6 Tablespoons agave syrup (I used the light syrup.)
3 Tablespoons tequila
1 1/2 Tablespoons hot sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon lime juice
Combine chili powder and next 5 ingredients. 
Sprinkle over chicken.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook. 
Place syrup and next 5 ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil. 
Cook until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup and begins to thicken.  Place
chicken on a hot grill and cook until no longer pink.  5 minutes before finished, brush chicken with glaze.  Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment