Tuesday, December 18, 2012

GIngerbread Pancakes



"And all the children were tucked in their beds.  Visions of sugarplums danced in their heads." Here's my theory:  I think that someone was making gingerbread pancakes in the kitchen while they slept which gave them sweet dreams.  I know I would dream of dancing sugarplums if I smelled gingerbread pancakes cooking on the stove while I was sleeping.

Gingerbread Pancakes
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup molasses
3 Tablespoons canola oil

Combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.










In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, oil and molasses.












I usually get my pancakes ready to this point - the night before I want to make them.  I put my egg mixture in the frig and the rest I leave out for the morning. 


I even put the plates and forks on the table - the less I have to remember early in the morning, the better. 












Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.


Lightly grease a skillet and heat to medium high heat. Scoop 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto hot skillet and cook until golden on both sides.


Serve with maple syrup. 


 So here is what my family had to say about these delicious pancakes.  My daughter said they were "good" and she ate two.  My son's comment was that they were "fine" - he only ate one.  Both Ben and I really like the gingerbread pancakes and we finished the batch.  The pancakes weren't the big hit with my kids that I thought they would be but I for one, thought they were great.  Nothing like a batch of Gingerbread pancakes to get me into the Christmas spirit.

 Ciao!



Gingerbread Pancakes
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup molasses
3 Tablespoons canola oil

Combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.  In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, oil and molasses.  Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.   Lightly grease a skillet and heat to medium high heat. Scoop 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto hot skillet and cook until golden on both sides.  Serve with maple syrup. 


No comments:

Post a Comment