Monday, April 7, 2014

Dark Chocolate Biscotti



Tomorrow is my dad's birthday so in honor of my wonderful dad - I am declaring this BISCOTTI WEEK on the blog.  (I can just sense your excitement.)   In case you're wondering how those two things are related, biscotti is one of my dad's favorite treats so it only seems right that we celebrate his birthday with biscotti. 

I am always in search of new biscotti recipes but in order to fill a week of blog posts with new biscotti recipes I had to dig even deeper for new, delicious, birthday-worthy biscotti recipes.  I found an especially decadent looking double chocolate biscotti recipe on www.chocolatechocolateandmore.com.  I decided to modify the original version by eliminating the chocolate chips and turning it into a simple dark chocolate biscotti treat. 


Dark Chocolate Biscotti 
Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dark cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Instructions
Cream butter and sugar together.


Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla.






In separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to Butter mixture in thirds, making sure all dry ingredients are incorporated before adding more.














Shape dough into a 12 x 4 inch log and place on a well greased baking pan (or use parchment paper)










Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.   Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut loaf into 3/4 inch slices.


Place back on baking sheet, cut side down. Bake again for 8 minutes then turn cookies over and bake for an additional 5 minutes.


Completely cool cookies on a rack then store in an airtight container.


If you've read any of my other biscotti recipes you know that I normally like to load my biscotti up with nuts and dried fruits but I have to say, these were a nice change.  The dark chocolate was really good and it was even better when dunked in a steaming cup of coffee.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment