Monday, April 28, 2014

Meatball Sub on a Stick


I love to have helpers in the kitchen and I'm always looking for new ways to entice the kids into helping me with dinner.  It's never too hard to convince Courtney to come help me in the kitchen - especially when meatballs are involved.  (I've never known any other kid who loves to play in raw meat like she does.)


The girl seriously loves to get her hands into the meat mixture and I must say that she's learned to  make some pretty awesome meatballs. 

I found a recipe for meatball subs on a stick from cookiesandcups.com and it was perfect for Courtney.  I had to modify it slightly but it really turned out great.


Meatball Subs on a Stick
Ingredients
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbsp dried Oregano
  • 1 Tbsp dried Basil
  • 1 Tbsp dried Parsley or 1/4 cup fresh chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can Pillsbury Original breadsticks
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 12 (10"-12") wooden skewers
  • Marinara sauce for dipping



Preheat oven to 375°
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
In bowl combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Oregano, Basil, Parsley, red pepper flakes and garlic. Form into 1 inch meatballs.





Spread dough onto counter and slice into strips.  Alternate dough-meatball, ending with dough. Make sure to spread dough and meatballs away from each other by about 1/4", so the meatballs bake through and the dough has room to expand.


Bake for 20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.  (I had better luck putting my skewers on a rack set over a baking sheet.)


Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce for sipping.


These meatball subs on a stick are perfect awesome.  They are super easy - especially when you have your own meatball maker on hand - like Courtney. 

Ciao!





2 comments:

  1. I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. See the link below for more info


    #stick
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that the recipe calls for a cup of mozzarella. I don’t see where you used it…

    ReplyDelete