Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Whole Wheat Rolls
















Whole wheat rolls that are light and fluffy and delicious are my weakness.  I think I could eat an entire pan of these.

This recipe came from www.anoregoncottage.com.  She titled her recipe 100% soft whole wheat dinner rolls.  I have certainly made my fair share of dense and heavy whole wheat rolls so I was ready to try something that claimed to be lighter. 

I had intended to make them completely out of whole wheat flour but I ran out so I had to use a couple of cups of bread flour as well.  They turned out REALLY delicious but I want to try them again with exclusively whole wheat flour.  

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls 

Makes 24

  • 2 Tb. dry yeast
  • 1/2 c. warm water
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk or milk  (I used 2 % lactaid milk)
  • 4-1/2-5 cups whole wheat flour  (I used a combination of whole wheat and white bread flour.)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. salt
Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water in a glass measure. Set aside.


Cream the butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.


Add the eggs and mix, scraping the sides.  Add the milk and yeast mixture.


Add 4-1/2 cups of flour and the salt, mixing until combined.


Change to dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes only, just until no longer tacky, adding a tablespoon or two of flour, if needed.









Place in a greased bowl, covered, to rise for one hour.







Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times, then let rest 3 minutes.
Divide into 24 equal pieces, shaping each into a ball and placing in a buttered 13×9-inch baking dish with the pieces touching.


Let rise, covered for 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.


Cool on wire rack or cutting board.











I can practically smell these warm rolls through my computer monitor.





Light and fluffy whole wheat rolls - yes, please.  I'm going to have to do a whole lot more crunches - but it's totally worth it.  These rolls are awesome.

Ciao!







No comments:

Post a Comment