Saturday, April 19, 2014

Jimmy Johns Bread (Part 2)


I love when people comment on my blog and I especially love it when readers send me their tips or suggestions on ways to improve my recipes.  The blog post that has generated the most comments so far has been the post that I wrote about my attempt at making Jimmy Johns bread.  (In case you didn't see it - you can check it out here.)

To make a long story short - it was kind of a disaster.  It came out flat and pretty much nothing like the bagel like bread that you can get at Jimmy Johns.

After a LOT of suggestions and tips and comments from my faithful followers, I decided to revisit my Jimmy Johns recipe with the advice from my readers.  This time around, it was MUCH better.  I am so happy that I gave it another shot.  Thank you to everyone who sent a comment or word of encouragement to inspire me to not give up on my dream of creating Jimmy Johns bread at home. 



Jimmy Johns Bread (Take 2)
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water

1/3 cup oil
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups bread flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups warm water

Combine sugar, yeast and warm water in mixing bowl.  Let sit for 5 minutes.


 Add remaining ingredients and knead until smooth and soft.








Let rise for 1 hour.


Divide into 12 pieces and roll into loaves.


Place on silpat lined baking sheet and let rise 45 minutes.  Score with a sharp knife.


Bake 18 minutes at 400.


Can you tell that I was proud of my bread?

Check out the inside...


 It made some mighty good sandwiches too.


Hungry yet?  No need to run out to Jimmy Johns anymore - I'll make my own delicious sandwich bread from now on.  Just kidding - I'll still go to Jimmy Johns - just because I love it.

Ciao!









 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! Nice recipe!
    I made my bread today from the Jimmy Johns "take 1" recipe. It came out well (better than yours, sorry for the failure on your recipe :( ), but the taste wasn't quite the same as Jimmy Jones "french bread". The Jimmy Johns "take 1" recipe it's a delicious bread if you knead the bread really well and then let it rest for one and a half hour (I also thought it was a long time, but it worked well!), and I also added 1 extra tablespoon of soybean oil.
    As soon as I go to the supermarket to buy more flour I'll try out the Jimmy Johns recipe "take 2". It looks amazing! Does it taste like the original "french bread" from the franchise? I live in Brazil and I can only remember the taste from my past days in US, as we don't have Jimmy Jones here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you tried the bread recipe. I definately prefer the taste of the second recipe to the first. It is the closest thing that I've found to the Jimmy Johns original bread recipe. I also prefer the bagel-like texture of the second recipe. I hope your second batch of bread turns out even better than your first. Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy. Thanks SO MUCH for gathering this information and posting this recipe (and the last one) on the Internet. I tried this recipe last weekend and had a few hiccups. First, I rolled the bread into things that looked more like fat breadsticks than loaves of Jimmy John's bread, and both my wife and son thought it was too sweet. I also think it could have been cooked a very small amount longer.

    Next batch is rising right now. I used 2 Tbsp of sugar instead of 3, and I plan to bake for 20 minutes instead of 18. We'll see how it goes!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that your second batch of Jimmy Johns bread turned out even better than your first. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  4. Second batch was AWESOME! Third batch is rising now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After making this, today, I don't think it an exact Jimmy Johns bread, but it is so darned good. It's a keeper for sure. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you freeze baked bread and reheat for later? I've never baked bread before and eager to give this recipe a try... -rb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a good recipe to start with if you do t have a lot of experience at bread making. And yes, I do freeze it on occasion. It's best if it's eaten the same day that its baked but it's still pretty tasty after its defrosted too. I wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and put them in ziplock bags before freezing them and that seems to work pretty well.

      Delete
  7. I dont have a stand mixer can I use this recipe in a bread machine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. R u referring to dry yeast in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi made it today and they are really amazing! Very easy and soon tasty. Ifilled them with meatballs - grrrreat!

      Delete
  9. Just made this recipe and I loved it! Rolls were soft and had a nice crust. Thank you :)!

    ReplyDelete