Thursday, April 3, 2014

Hazelnut Chicken

3 soccer games and 2 baseball games in one week means that  have to pack our dinner "to go" all week.  It's not that I'm complaining about the kids schedules because I LOVE to go and watch them on the field but I am getting a little tired of eating sandwiches at the games.  I decided that it was time to rethink my game night menu and stick to cooking the things that we would normally eat if we were at home for dinner.  It might take some creative packing but I think I can get a reasonable dinner to the field without too much trouble.  The question is - Will I be able to eat it while sitting in the bleachers and cheering on the kids? 


I took a batch of hazelnut chicken from the Cooking Light magazine to Courtney's soccer game and it really worked out pretty well.  In case you've seen the recipe in the magazine, my version will look a little different.  I didn't saute my chicken in a pan before baking it in the oven and I didn't make the port cranberry sauce that was intended to be served along with the chicken.  I simplified the recipe to make it a little more "field friendly" and I think it turned out pretty great. 


Hazelnut Chicken
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 egg
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
13 cups finely chopped hazelnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons sage
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix egg and dijon.


Combine panko, hazelnuts and sage.













Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.  Dip chicken breast in egg mixture.










Dip chicken in bread crumb mixture.  (It looks like an eye spy puzzle.  Can you find the chicken breast in there?)


Place chicken on a greased, foil lined baking pan.


Bake at 425 until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.


If you happen to be taking this to the ball field with you, add a scoop of with macaroni and cheese to your dish, wrap up a whole wheat roll and head to the game.


Packed and ready to go!


 Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment